Monday, August 07, 2006

Road to Guatanamo

I've been wanting to watch "The Road to Guantanamo", but everytime I go to the theatre, I change my mind, afraid that I would come out of the theatre feeling upset and emotionally affected.

After much contemplation, and some movie feedback from Tallin, I was finally convinced that I should watch "The Road to Guantanamo", a docu-movie on the Tipton Three, London born Pakistani and Bengali muslim boys who were caught up in the Afghan crisis while on a side trip from Pakistan, and then detained in Guantanamo,(the notorious Cuban prison) for years although they were innocent. (http://www.roadtoguantanamomovie.com/)

Here's the Trailer:


Of course, I did come out of the theatre feeling a little outraged, and suddenly thinking of how I can help the world. But, as usual, the feeling wears off with the new Sunshine.

As with movies like Fahrenheit 911(http://www.fahrenheit911.com/), and Strip Search (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376215/), it examines the effects of the threats of terrorism on society. But above all, it shows us the underlying threat that we impose on ourselves, all out of fear.

Throughout the movie, I felt so outraged with the way the prisoners were treated with such disrespect. Imagine:

1) Living in little cages under the Sun, exposed to the natural elements, and not allowed to stand
2) Not allowed to practise your religion
3) Run naked with your head covered, and all that time being chased by a dog
4) Mentally tortured to admit any form of association with terrorism acts
5) the disrespect of the Quran

Yet, can I blame them? There's always some lame explanation. I only have one word. I think the people were going MAD. In a bid to prevent terrorism and punish those involved, those who deem themselves to be the most righteous and leaders of freedom are going against their own beliefs, enraged at the injustice that has been dealt to them.

And so, with this crazy-insane-lunacy-of-a-mind, these "World Police" go around persecuting all those who remotely looks like any of the cultures and religion adopted by the terrorists. At the wake of the attacks, and even now sometimes, Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern and Muslim men with beards or bearing any form of religious symbols are looked upon suspiciously, and subjected to checks that are so stringent and sometimes disrespectful.

What are we doing to ourselves? In trying to keep the world safe, we pawn our freedom to be who we are?

Ok, enough of my ranting... I could so start a forum on this...

Anyway, guess what? The cast of the Road to Guantanamo were recently held when they arrived at the airport.... suspected terrorism.... CRAZY. Here's the article:
http://www.thelip.org/?p=129

Ciao.

Mocca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home